乔治·马丁的《权力的游戏》是奇幻文学史上的一部史诗级巨著，因作者本人是一位中世纪历史爱好者，其创作中包含了很多历史与文化的元素。作品的主线是维斯特洛大大陆上七大王国的分裂与统一。国家分裂后各个独立王国又因为战争、联姻、结盟等有着各种各样的交集，并展现出了各自别具一格的的图腾文化。 弗洛伊德的《 图腾与禁忌》 认为， 一个民族的图腾物将深深地影响着这个民族的文化和民族性格。在《权力的游戏》中，各个王国都有着独特的人文风情与图腾文化。因为地理位置的不同，它们的图腾文化都带有着强烈的的地域特征。本文以作品中的图腾物为切入点，通过对四个王国的图腾的研究与对比，找出图腾之间的差异及其原因，并分析图腾的地域特点，从而找到图腾与地域的内在联系。
A Game of Thrones, written by George R.R. Martin, is an epic work of fantasy literature. Martin applies lot of historical and cultural factors in his writing on account of his interests in medieval history. The plot line of the novel is the secession and unification of the Seven Kingdoms on Westeros. After the secession, the kingdoms interact with each other because of war, marriage and alliance. Furthermore, they develop their unique totem cultures respectively. Freud’s The Totems and the Taboos believes that the totem of a nation will affect its culture and national character deeply. In A Game of Thrones, each kingdom has its unique humanistic charm and totem culture which bears obvious regional features owing to the differences in geographical locations. This paper chooses totems in the novel as the point of penetration. This paper will compare the totems of four kingdoms thus to find their differences and the reason. Then it will analyze the regional features of totems, and find the internal relations between totem and region.
Key words: A Game of Thrones; totem; region; the Seven Kingdoms
- Introduction 1
- George R.R. Martin and His Major Works 1
- A Game of Thrones 1
- Totem Culture 3
- Definition 3
- Totem Study at Home and Abroad 3
- Totems of Different Kingdoms 6
- Regional Characteristics of Different Kingdoms 10
- Production Mode 10
- Region’s Effects on Totem 15
- Totem Style 16
- Totem’s Color in Family Sigil 17
- Conclusion 19
George R.R. Martin and His Major Works
George Raymond Richard Martin was born on September 20, 1948 in Bayonne, New Jersey. He is an American novelist and short-story writer in the fantasy, horror, and fiction genres, also a screenwriter and television producer. Martin is best known for A Song of Ice and Fire, his international bestselling series of epic fantasy novel which was adapted into the HBO dramatic series Game of Thrones in 2011.
Martin began writing at a young age selling monster stories and dramatic readings to other neighborhood children for pennies. In high school, he began to write fiction for comic fanzines. Martin’s first professional sale The Hero was made in 1970 at the age of 21. And at the same year, he received a B.S. in Journalism from Northwestern University.
Before 1990, he published a series of novels, novelettes and short stories including: Sandkings(1979), The Way of Cross and Dragon(1979), Dying of The Light(1977), Wind Haven(1981), Fever Dream(1982), The Armageddon Rag(1983), The Pear-shaped Man(1988), Portraits of his children(1987), The Skin Trade(1989). After that, Martin turned into a screen writer and television producer for 10 years. Until 1996, he published A Game of Thrones for which he was awarded Premio Ignotus for Best Foreign Novel in 2003.
- A Cognitive Analysis of Lantern Riddles in A Dream of Red Mansions毕业论文
- An Analysis of Humous Conversation Implications in The Bigbang They毕业论文
- A Study of Metaph in Public Service Advertising Viewpoint of Conceptual Blending They毕业论文
- On Literary Techniques of Creating Impossible Crime in Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None毕业论文
- A Research of Puritanism Its Influence on The Scarlet Letter毕业论文
- A Study of College Students’ English Learning Based on Smart Mobile Device毕业论文
- Death of Body, Rebirth of Spirit An Analysis of the Death Motif in Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”毕业论文
- Spaces Personality An Analysis of the Protagonist’s Characterization in The Moon Sixpence毕业论文
- Humous Effect of Tongue Slips on Chinese Comedy skits毕业论文
- Beast Human An Analysis of the Monster’s Character Transfmation in Frankenstein毕业论文