1. Introduction 1
2. Demonstration 2
2.1 Consumption in Sister Carrie 2
2.1.1 Material consumption 2
2.1.2 Sex consumption 3
2.2 Cause of consumption changes in Sister Carrie 5
2.2.1 Carrie and economy 5
2.2.2 Carrie and desire 6
2.3 Influence of consumption 7
2.3.1 Spiritual level of Carrie 8
2.3.2 American people in the early 20th century 8
3. Conclusion 10
Works Cited 11
Analysis of the Influence of Consumption Culture in Sister Carrie
Sister Carrie is a famous work written by the American writer Theodore Dreiser. Since its publication, it has occupied an important status in the history of American literature. According to St. Louis Mirror,
“Sister Carrie remains vital for many reasons: as an historical marker for the turn away from sentimentality, romance, and moral rectitude in the American novel at the brink of the twentieth century. etc” (Mirror 51).
In addition, the thesis can also provide a new research perspective on the images in literary works; thus, it is also of some practical significance.
According to this paper, the consumption of Sister Carrie is actually the conspicuous consumption. What Sister Carrie can show is the clothes, house, feeling and her body. She is only the victim in the consumption society since she totally loses herself in this society and she can only look forward to the happiness in loneliness and coldness.
In consideration of the purpose of the thesis, the author mainly adopts the method of qualitative study to analyze the Sister Carrier from the perspective of consumption culture. In this paper, the author borrows Baudrillard’s consumption theory to the analysis of the consumption of Sister Carrie.
In conclusion, from these former studies, the novel can be better and more completely understood. However, although these scholars both at home and abroad have studied Sister Carrier from different perspectives, in the present time, the related studies on the consumption culture that can be indicated from this novel are not systematically enough. Thus, the present thesis, to some extent, can make some contribution to the related research fields.
2.1 Consumption in Sister Carrie
Jean Baudrillard has pointed out: It has to be made clear from the outset that consumption is an active form of relationship (not only to objects, but also to society and to the world), a model of systematic activity and global response which founds our entire cultural system (Baudrillard 1). The culture system is built on this basis. He thinks that consumption is a symbolic exchange, including material consumption, emotional consumption and sex consumption.
2.1.1 Material consumption
- A Cognitive Analysis of Lantern Riddles in A Dream of Red Mansions毕业论文
- An Analysis of Humous Conversation Implications in The Bigbang They毕业论文
- A Study of Metaph in Public Service Advertising Viewpoint of Conceptual Blending They毕业论文
- On Literary Techniques of Creating Impossible Crime in Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None毕业论文
- A Research of Puritanism Its Influence on The Scarlet Letter毕业论文
- A Study of College Students’ English Learning Based on Smart Mobile Device毕业论文
- Death of Body, Rebirth of Spirit An Analysis of the Death Motif in Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”毕业论文
- Spaces Personality An Analysis of the Protagonist’s Characterization in The Moon Sixpence毕业论文
- Humous Effect of Tongue Slips on Chinese Comedy skits毕业论文
- Beast Human An Analysis of the Monster’s Character Transfmation in Frankenstein毕业论文