1. Introduction 1
1.1Research background 1
1.2 Significance of the study 1
1.3 Structure of this thesis 2
2. Demonstration 2
2.1 Literature Review 2
2.1.1 Transferred Negation 2
2.1.2 Interpersonal Metafunction 4
2.2 Cause Analysis of Transferred Negation 7
2.2.1 Special pragmatic purposes 7
2.2.2 Suprasegmental Phoneme 10
2.2.3 Negation Focus Locking 12
3. Conclusion 13
Works Cited 16
A Study on Transferred Negation from the Perspective of Interpersonal Metafunction
Negation is the most shared natural feature among languages and it can be expressed in different forms. What’s more, transferred negation increases the difficulty to understand negation. Transferred negation was first mentioned by Quirk(1972) in his book, A grammar of contemporary English. He defined the phenomenon that a negative word or element moves out of its original position to a new place as transferred negation. And this phenomenon which causing the inconsistence of negation between forms and meaning leads to the ambiguity.
In addition, transferred negation phenomenon is rare in Chinese because of different habits of thought between English and Chinese. The focus of negation often follows the negative word in Chinese while in English, people may insert additional components which make the focus of negation and the negative word move apart.
Therefore, it’s significant to make clear the definition of transferred negation and find out the negative center for the sake of smooth communication. And this essay will help to summarize the causes of transferred negation from the perspective of interpersonal metafunction, offering a simple way to understand transferred negation.
1.2 Significance of the study
Among all the complex linguistic structures, transferred negation is the most complex phenomenon because it is easy to cause uncertainty of negative center, which directly leads to ambiguity. Therefore, this essay, the study on transferred negation from the perspective of interpersonal metafunction, will study this linguistic structure in details and analyze its cause from different aspects.
In a word, this essay will help to determine the negative center and better understand transferred negation, even the structure of negation, by illustrating the cause of transferred negation from the perspective of interpersonal metafunction.
1.3 Structure of this thesis
- A Cognitive Analysis of Lantern Riddles in A Dream of Red Mansions毕业论文
- An Analysis of Humous Conversation Implications in The Bigbang They毕业论文
- A Study of Metaph in Public Service Advertising Viewpoint of Conceptual Blending They毕业论文
- On Literary Techniques of Creating Impossible Crime in Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None毕业论文
- A Research of Puritanism Its Influence on The Scarlet Letter毕业论文
- A Study of College Students’ English Learning Based on Smart Mobile Device毕业论文
- Death of Body, Rebirth of Spirit An Analysis of the Death Motif in Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”毕业论文
- Spaces Personality An Analysis of the Protagonist’s Characterization in The Moon Sixpence毕业论文
- Humous Effect of Tongue Slips on Chinese Comedy skits毕业论文
- Beast Human An Analysis of the Monster’s Character Transfmation in Frankenstein毕业论文