Gothic novel is a kind of distinctive novel style , the story always happens at castles or wastelands to establish a horrible atmosphere, the scenario usually full of revenge, murder and rape. The appearance of the Gothic literature not only create a brand new way for British and America literature, but also provides a good opportunity for people to reveal the darkness of the society. The paper is to interpret the Gothic traditions in the Irish writer Bram Stoker’s masterpiece —Dracula. The paper,after introduce the origin, development and main feature of Gothic traditions in classical British and American literature, typifies the Gothic elements in the novel Dracula from three aspects, namely, the supernatural power, distorted psychology, grim environment. Finally, it arrives at the conclusion that Dracula, as a masterpiece in Gothic novel – a dark romantic literary genre, can cater to the audience’s fundamental psychological need. Meanwhile，it has influenced the development of the British and American literature and has certain literary position and research value.
Key Words: Dracula; Gothic tradition; British and American literature darkness; psychology
1 Introduction 1
2 The analysis of Gothic tradition 3
2.1 The development and origin of the Gothic tradition 3
2.2 The element of Gothic tradition 5
2.3 The significance of the Gothic tradition on modern literature 5
3 The analysis of Dracula 7
3.1 The analysis of the novel’s setting 7
3.2 The analysis of the novel’s plot 7
3.3 The analysis of the novel’s character(Dracula) 8
4 The interpretation on the Gothic traditions in Dracula 10
4.1 The supernatural power 10
4.2 Distorted psychology 11
4.3 Grim environment 12
5 Conclusion 14
Interpretation on the Gothic traditions in Dracula by Bram Stoker
The author of Dracula is a novelist Abraham Bram Stoker, who was born on November 8, and dead on 1847 - April 20, 1912. He was born in Dublin suburbs Taft, and he was an Irish English novelist, and early used to write plays for Dublin evening news comments. In 1897 he published the novel Dracula and therefore, at this point the novel and another Irish writer Joseph Snow Glidden Finn together became the vampire literature classic novelists.
Dracula has been recognized as a classic, not only has been translated into many words, but also have been adapted for stage, film and TV series, affect the generations of writers. Named after the names of the authors, Bram Stoker Awards, is the highest award of horror fiction, and a famous contemporary American writer Stephen king had won the award. The novel is widely popular, so that when it comes to the vampire, people first think of Dracula, Dracula pretty much becomes synonymous with vampire, and his hometown, Nancyvania also became the tourist destination many people are flocking to.
The meaning of Dracula most important is that it opens the vampire theme of the novel, provide examples for the offspring of the vampire culture. While Dracula's image has a certain historical significance, he became literature history continuation of enduring classic role in one hundred.
- A Cognitive Analysis of Lantern Riddles in A Dream of Red Mansions毕业论文
- An Analysis of Humous Conversation Implications in The Bigbang They毕业论文
- A Study of Metaph in Public Service Advertising Viewpoint of Conceptual Blending They毕业论文
- On Literary Techniques of Creating Impossible Crime in Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None毕业论文
- A Research of Puritanism Its Influence on The Scarlet Letter毕业论文
- A Study of College Students’ English Learning Based on Smart Mobile Device毕业论文
- Death of Body, Rebirth of Spirit An Analysis of the Death Motif in Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”毕业论文
- Spaces Personality An Analysis of the Protagonist’s Characterization in The Moon Sixpence毕业论文
- Humous Effect of Tongue Slips on Chinese Comedy skits毕业论文
- Beast Human An Analysis of the Monster’s Character Transfmation in Frankenstein毕业论文