Allusion is the soul of language, and it contains a nation’s history and culture. The expression effects of articles and speeches are often promoted by using allusions properly. Allusions are usually used in formal situations to convey ideas which are not convenient for the speaker to talk directly. Under some conditions allusions are also quoted to strengthen what the speaker wants to express. The quotation of allusions is frequently seen in political speeches. There are diplomats who have preference to allusions at all times and in all places. President Xi Jinping has a special favor towards allusions and they can be found easily in his works.
This paper includes five parts. In the first part, a brief introduction is given to show the background of choosing this topic. The second part is literature review, which introduces political speech and allusion. The third part analyzes the allusions applied in President Xi Jinping’s speech in Seattle on September 24th, 2015 from the aspects of form and category. The forth part is going to discuss the meanings and effects of allusions in President Xi’s speech. And the fifth part is conclusion. The importance of political speeches is known by us all, so we should study and better understand these speeches rather than just read or talk about them. Only in this way can we know better about our leaders’ political standpoints and governing policies.
Key Words: Xi Jinping; Speech in Seattle; Allusion
1 Introduction 1
2 Literature Review 2
2.1 Political Speech 2
2.2 Allusion 3
3 Form and Category Analysis of Allusions in President Xi’s Speech 5
3.1 Form Analysis 5
3.2 Category Analysis 6
4 Meanings and Effects of Allusions in President Xi’s Speech in Seattle 8
4.1 Meanings of Allusions in President Xi’s Speech 8
4.2 Effects of Allusions in President Xi’s Speech 10
5 Conclusion 13
Study of Allusions in President Xi Jinping’s Speech in Seattle
Since the beginning of reform and opening-up in 1978, China has set out on an extraordinary journey. After a development of more than three decades, China has edged into the world’s second largest economy. As a result, there are more and more exchanges among countries and our presidents travel to other countries for political visits and make political speeches more frequently. When talking about those political speeches made by our presidents, one thing we must admit is that the speeches are of great importance to the relations between China and the entire world. Those speeches are more than what they are. They usually express our country’s political positions, our country’s diplomacy principles and our country’s attitudes toward certain affairs. So the inner meanings of these speeches are worthy of our full-scale analysis.
It has been three years since Xi Jinping became the president of China on March 14th, 2013. And during this time he has made more than one hundred speeches, which became important indicative files of the governments’ development. And the researches on his speeches have never stopped.
- A Cognitive Analysis of Lantern Riddles in A Dream of Red Mansions毕业论文
- An Analysis of Humous Conversation Implications in The Bigbang They毕业论文
- A Study of Metaph in Public Service Advertising Viewpoint of Conceptual Blending They毕业论文
- On Literary Techniques of Creating Impossible Crime in Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None毕业论文
- A Research of Puritanism Its Influence on The Scarlet Letter毕业论文
- A Study of College Students’ English Learning Based on Smart Mobile Device毕业论文
- Death of Body, Rebirth of Spirit An Analysis of the Death Motif in Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”毕业论文
- Spaces Personality An Analysis of the Protagonist’s Characterization in The Moon Sixpence毕业论文
- Humous Effect of Tongue Slips on Chinese Comedy skits毕业论文
- Beast Human An Analysis of the Monster’s Character Transfmation in Frankenstein毕业论文