Literature is the reflection and condensation of social culture. In addition to providing a large amount of cultural background knowledge and authentic cultural context, excellent literary works also deeply affect reader's emotion, which are vivid, specific, thorough and comprehensive reading materials. At the same time, in the 21st century, the age of economic and information globalization, college students should explore and understand the social and cultural meanings behind language, so as to promote their cultivation of intercultural competence. This study discusses the impact of foreign literary work reading on college students’ intercultural competence.
This study is based on the theories of critical reading and intercultural competence. 123 undergraduate students who come from six universities in China conduct the questionnaire survey about foreign literary work reading and intercultural competence. And 10 students are interviewed at random. Lastly, the impact of foreign literary work reading on college students’ intercultural communicative competence (intercultural knowledge, skill, awareness and attitude) is discussed with the combination of the intercultural communication competency assessment scale. This paper is divided into five chapters. In addition to the first introduction chapter, chapter two is the literature review of intercultural communicative competence and the study on the relation of foreign literary work reading and intercultural communicative competence. Chapter three is the research methodology. Chapter four is the presentation and discussion of the result of this study, and the conclusion is the last chapter. Through data comparison and analysis, the results show that 82.6% of the surveyed students believe that reading foreign literature has positive impact on their intercultural communicative competence. Among them, reading foreign literature has the most significant effect on intercultural knowledge and skill, and has little effect on intercultural awareness and attitude. The author also proposes reasons and suggestions on the basis of data analysis, which provides theoretical basis for foreign language teaching and practical reference for activities to improve intercultural communicative competence.
Key Words: intercultural communicative competence; foreign literary work reading; college students
- A Cognitive Analysis of Lantern Riddles in A Dream of Red Mansions毕业论文
- An Analysis of Humous Conversation Implications in The Bigbang They毕业论文
- A Study of Metaph in Public Service Advertising Viewpoint of Conceptual Blending They毕业论文
- On Literary Techniques of Creating Impossible Crime in Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None毕业论文
- A Research of Puritanism Its Influence on The Scarlet Letter毕业论文
- A Study of College Students’ English Learning Based on Smart Mobile Device毕业论文
- Death of Body, Rebirth of Spirit An Analysis of the Death Motif in Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”毕业论文
- Spaces Personality An Analysis of the Protagonist’s Characterization in The Moon Sixpence毕业论文
- Humous Effect of Tongue Slips on Chinese Comedy skits毕业论文
- Beast Human An Analysis of the Monster’s Character Transfmation in Frankenstein毕业论文