- Introduction 1
- Demonstration 2
- Skopos Theory 2
- C-E Translation Principles for Scenic Spot Names 2
- Pinyin 3
- Literal Translation 4
- Free Translation 5
- Word-for-word Translation 6
- Pinyin Category Name 8
- Pinyin Annotation 8
- Conclusion 9
Works cited. 10
The Chinese-English Translation of Scenic Spot Names from the Perspective of Skopos Theory
In recent years, with the deepening economic globalization, tourism has gained its popularity. People tend to travel abroad to enjoy different cultures, customs and scenery in different countries. Since China opened up its door to the world in 1978, many foreign visitors have come to China for traveling, most of whom are from English-speaking countries where English is a second language. In order to benefit foreign visitors, many scenic spots have made many efforts to translate scenic spot names with English. Translation of scenic spot names is an important medium for foreign visitors to have a good impression about the scenic spots. However, there are a great number of inappropriate translations of scenic spot names which arouse foreign visitors’ confusions and misunderstandings.
Skpos theory is a relatively new translation theory focusing on choices of various purposes in the translation actions. It can make up for the disadvantages of traditional translation studies and add a new research perspective for multi-disciplinary translations. It plays a positive and instructive role in the translation actions. Translating scenic spot names is a translation action with various purposes. Therefore, we can use Skopos theory to guide in the C-E translation of scenic spot names. At present, the topics “翻译目的论、景点名称翻译、音译、意译” is relatively new, and we can find few results in the learned periodical. Those thesis mainly study the translation principles of scenic spot names from the perspective of Skopos theory, nor
do they state clearly the merits and demerits of listed translation principles.
This paper focuses on the principles in the translation of scenic spot names from the perspective of Skopos theory. It consists of three parts. Firstly, the author gives a brief summary of Skopos theory. Secondly, the author classifies into six kinds the principles in the C-E translation of scenic spot names and discusses in detail how to apply these principles. At last, the author concludes these translation methods and
points out the deficiencies of the thesis.
- Skopos Theory
In the 1970s, several functional translators put forward a new translation theory - Skopos theory, which includes Skopos rule, coherence rule and loyalty rule. Skopos theory holds “the end justifies the means” (Reiss and Vermeer 101). The aims of translation actions determine translation methods we would like to choose. Skopos rule is the primary rule of the Skopos theory, and the other two rules are subordinate to it. According to the skopos rule, the purposes of translation actions can be grouped into three kinds: the principle aims of translators (making a living), the communicative function and application of some special translation skills to achieve our aims. Coherence rule means translation of the source texts should be readable and acceptable for the readers. Readers of the target text are able to gain the same information as those of the source text. Loyalty rule means translation should be loyal to the source text or the source culture. All in all, Skopos theory intends to achieve the goal of the target text.
- A Cognitive Analysis of Lantern Riddles in A Dream of Red Mansions毕业论文
- An Analysis of Humous Conversation Implications in The Bigbang They毕业论文
- A Study of Metaph in Public Service Advertising Viewpoint of Conceptual Blending They毕业论文
- On Literary Techniques of Creating Impossible Crime in Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None毕业论文
- A Research of Puritanism Its Influence on The Scarlet Letter毕业论文
- A Study of College Students’ English Learning Based on Smart Mobile Device毕业论文
- Death of Body, Rebirth of Spirit An Analysis of the Death Motif in Hemingway’s “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”毕业论文
- Spaces Personality An Analysis of the Protagonist’s Characterization in The Moon Sixpence毕业论文
- Humous Effect of Tongue Slips on Chinese Comedy skits毕业论文
- Beast Human An Analysis of the Monster’s Character Transfmation in Frankenstein毕业论文